Friday, August 12, 2011

Weekends = Family Breakfasts

To be honest weekends are when I fall off the healthy wagon and I am completely ok with that.  These cinnamon rolls have been a go-to holiday/special occasion recipe for me.  They're always a big hit! The best thing about them is that you can put them together the night before and then pull them out when you wake up and have hot, fresh cinnamon rolls with zero effort on a Saturday morning. 

This recipe comes straight from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. When I grabbed the cookbook there was a bookmark on this page.  That should tell you how much we love it!


Creamy Caramel-Pecan Rolls

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbs ground cinnamon
2- 16 oz loaves frozen white bread dough or sweet roll dough, thawed*
3 tbs melted butter
3/4 cup raisins (optional)

Directions:
Grease one 9x13 glass baking dish and set aside or 2 9x1 1/2 inch round baking pans.  In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar and heavy cream.  Spread into the bottom of the baking dish and sprinkle the pecans evenly over sugar mixture.

In another small bowl stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.  On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf of dough into a 12x8 inch rectangle.  Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with brown sugar-cinnamon mixture and raisins.

Roll up the rectangles starting from a long side and seal seams.  Slice each roll into 12 pieces with a sharp knife and place in pan, on top of pecans.

Cover and let rise about 30 minutes, until doubled. 

Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.  If necessary cover with foil for the last 10 minutes of baking.  Carefully invert rolls onto a serving platter.  Serve warm.

Make-ahead Directions:
Prepare as above, cover with oiled plastic wrap.  Refrigerate for 2-24 hours.  Before baking, let chilled rolls stand, covered for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake chilled rolls for 25-30 minutes.  Continue as directed.

*I've never actually used frozen bread.  I love making bread, so I usually make my own sweet roll dough.  You can use any recipe you have.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll post the one I use.

These are great and obviously my son (and hubby) love them.  Sam loves helping me sprinkle the nuts, filling and raisins!

No comments:

Post a Comment