Friday, August 26, 2011

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

I love baking, and bread is one of my favorite things to make.  I'm sure some of you are wondering how I can consider homemade pizza dough something fast and easy.  I promise I haven't lost my mind! This is a very easy and super yummy pizza crust recipe.

In order to be completely honest about the difficulty level of this recipe I will say, that I do have a Kitchen Aid stand mixer.  It is my very favorite kitchen appliance and it isn't necessary for this recipe, but it's one of the reasons I think this recipe is so easy.  I honestly cannot remember where this recipe came from, it is one I've had forever and we use it for many different dishes.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough



Ingredients:
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tbs olive oil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp salt
about 1/2 cup warm water

Directions:
Mix yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar together in a small bowl and let stand until foamy, then add 1 tbs olive oil. Measure the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl and add the yeast mixture.  Add the additional water slowly until doughy, but not sticky.  Knead for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Remove and place in a well oiled bowl.  Allow it to rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in size.  Punch down and then use for whatever...calzones, pizza...anything!  Baking instructions vary depending on what you are making, but generally it should be baked at about 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment